Rich rice pudding or phirni flavored with rose petals for that perfect make ahead dessert to wow your guests with.
- ¼ cup Rice (+ 1 tbsps)
- 1 litre Milk (Full – fat (Skim milk just doesn’t cut it))
- A few strands Saffron (or Kesar)
- ¼ Cup Sugar (+ 1 tbsps)
- 2 tbsps Rose Petals (Dried)
- Pistachios (Chopped and Almonds for garnishing)
- Soak the rice in water for half an hour. Drain water and pulse in a grinder till you get a grainy consistency. The grains should feel gritty between your fingers and should be slightly bigger than semolina.
- Bring the milk to a gentle simmer, and add the rice and saffron while whisking continuously. This will help avoid lumps.
- Bring this to a boil while whisking, and then lower the flame to a simmer. Keep stirring the mixture every couple of minutes.
- After about 20 minutes the mixture will start to thicken. Simmer for another 20 -25 minutes till it thickens considerably and the rice is completely cooked.
- Add sugar and mix till it dissolves. Switch off the flame and let the mixture cool. Once its cooled completely, transfer to a mixer-grinder and pulse for exactly 5 seconds. This helps give the phirni a creaminess and remove any lumps.
- Mix in the rose petals, and transfer into serving bowls. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios, almonds and rose petals. Cool in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours or overnight. Serve cold.