Recipe video above. Simple aloo gobi masala is an all season Indian dish that’s full of flavour and super fast to put together. It’s a simple cauliflower and potato stir fry spiced with ginger and ground spices. Serve it with a simple dal and jeera rice and you’ve got the worlds best comfort food.
- 3 tablespoon Mustard Oil
- 1 teaspoon Jeera or Cumin Seeds
- 1 Bayleaf
- 1 pinch Hing or Asafoetida (optional)
- 2 small dry red Chillies
- 1 inch piece Ginger, cut into thin juliennes
- 2 Green Chillies, slit lengthwise
- 350 grams Cauliflower, cut into florets (approx 3 cups cauliflower florets)
- 2 medium sized Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup chopped Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Kasuri Methi, roasted and crushed coarsely
- Chopped fresh coriander for garnish
- Place the cauliflower florets in a bowl and pour hot water on them. Set them aside for 8-10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet or kadhai. Add cumin seeds and bayleaf and let the cumin splutter. Add hing (if using) and the dry red chilies and let this cook for half a minute. Then add the ginger juliennes and the slit green chilies. Fry till the ginger turns golden.
- Drain the cauliflower florets and add them to the pan along with potatoes and all the masalas- turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix everything together, cover with a lid and let this cook on a slow flame till the potatoes and cauliflower are fork tender. Keep checking and stir occasionally to prevent the vegetables from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add a tablespoon or two of water if required.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the chopped tomatoes and cook on a high flame stirring with a light hand, till the tomatoes turn a little soft. Add the kasuri methi and give it a quick mix. Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander.
- This recipe does not require onions and garlic, but if you want, you can add sliced onions and chopped garlic right in the beginning
- Matar or green peas is also a great addition to aloo gobi. Boiled green peas or frozen peas can be added along with tomatoes and cooked for a few minutes