Watch Recipe Video above. This easy coconut rice is a fantastic side to curries, roasted veggies and meats. In India, it’s even had for breakfast because it really fuels you up. Also a great way to use leftover rice! Its naturally vegan, gluten free and vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoon Coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon Urad Dal
- 1/2 tablespoon Chana Dal
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped Ginger
- 2 dry whole Red Chilies
- 10–12 Cashew Nuts
- 1 finely chopped Green Chilli
- 1 1/2 cups grated fresh Coconut
- 2 cups cooked Basmati Rice
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a wok or frying pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dal and asafoetida to it and cook till the seeds crackle.
- Next add the dry red chillies, curry leaves, cashew nuts and chopped ginger and cook till the cashew nuts turn golden.
- Add the chopped green chillies and grated coconut and cook stirring for a couple of minutes till the coconut turns light brown in color.
- Add rice and salt and stir fry it all together with a light hand to mix it all. Finish with a squeeze of lime juice.
- Serve hot with curd, vegetable korma or any other curry.
- To cook Basmati Rice: Wash and soak the rice in water for 15-20 minutes. Put 1 1/2 litres of water to boil in a saucepan, add the soaked rice to the boiling water and cook till the rice is about 80-90% cooked. Drain, fluff it with a fork and keep aside.
- You may substitute peanuts for cashews.
- A dash of lemon juice can be added when adding the rice and salt to give it a tang.