This Comforting Mexican Style Tortilla Bean Soup is a healthy vegetarian, one pot meal which is full of flavor and spice. It is our favorite go to dinner option on busy days and makes a regular appearance at our table. It has protein, fibre and lots of nutrition in just one pot. A warm bowl of this is enough to wear off all the tiredness after a long working day!
Today is one of those days when I don’t have a lot to say to you. So I’m going to be honest here. I’ve been feeling a little blue lately. I have no idea why. I probably need a little more RR. Or just a bowl of this super soothing Mexican Style Tortilla Bean Soup?
This is my favorite bowl of comfort food. I think I saw something like this on Pinterest a long time ago, and started recreating the flavors at home. The first time I made it, we just could not get enough of the soup and we polished off the entire pot. And since then, this soup makes a regular appearance at the dinner table and rightly so! Because this is all you need. I wish I could sing. I would’ve distorted the Beatles song for this soup because it truly can turn a gloomy day around.
It’s hearty and filling and a one pot meal to soothe your soul on days when you are blue. I’ve made this with chicken, corn, tofu and today, beans. Top it with some grated cheddar, crushed tortilla chips, avocado, tomatoes and lots of cilantro to load this up with some more flavor. So there’s protein, fibre and lots of nutrition in just one pot.
Plus winter is coming. And we need to be armed. Umm too early?
If you try this out, tag your pictures #myfoodstories on Instagram. I’d love to see your creations and repost them to show you some lou back.
More Mexican Recipes:
- Mexican Rice and Sausages
- Mexican Prawn Avocado Taco Salad
- Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
- Chicken Enchilada Soup (Pressure Cooker Recipe)
Comforting Mexican Style Tortilla Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic minced
- 1 cup Onions chopped
- 3/4 cup Bell Peppers chopped
- 2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 cup Tomatoes chopped
- 2 Jalapenos chopped
- 1/4 cup Corn charred
- 1/2 cup Kidney Beans cooked
- 3 cups Water or Vegetable Stock
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- Tomatoes Chopped
- Onions Chopped
- Avocado Chopped
- Cheddar Grated
- Tortilla Chips Crushed
- Lemon Juice
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat oil and add garlic. Saute for 10-15 seconds and add onions and bell peppers. Cook till onions are almost translucent and add the seasoning mix.
- Cook for a few minutes and add tomatoes, jalapeños, corn, kidney beans, salt and two and a half cups of water/stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Taste test to check for seasoning and if required, add more taco seasoning and salt. If you like it more spicy, add some chili powder.
- Mix cornstarch in the remaining water/stock and stir till there are no lumps. Add this mixture to the soup, and keep stirring while bringing it to a boil. Boil for a minute to let the soup thicken and then switch off the flame.
- Tempting as it may be to jump in immediately, let the soup sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Ladle it into bowls and top it up with garnishes before serving.
- In case you can’t get hold of store bought taco seasoning, make your own by combining 1/2 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon cumin powder and 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- I used a combination of Kidney Beans and Edamame in the soup
- A combination of red, green and yellow bell peppers makes the soup more flavourful
- If you can’t find Jalapeños, substitute them with green chilis