Flavour BOMB is what this Vegetarian Mexican Soup is! It's a one pot meal which only takes 40 minutes from start to finish, making it so perfect for weeknight dinners. Spicy, full of fiber, nutrition and packed with veggies and beans - this is a hit family meal.
I'm a big fan of soups that feel like a meal. And they must have tons of flavour. Enter this Vegetarian Mexican Soup. Or Mexican tortilla soup. Or Mexican Bean Soup. It's a little bit of everything.
Nothing complicated here. Just a great soup that's hearty, chunky and comes loaded with veggies, corn, beans and a taco seasoning that makes all the difference. You'll be licking the bowl clean!
This soup is so amazing because its:
One pot: The whole soup is made in one pot from start to finish so you don't have multiple dishes to clean!
Loaded with veggies: A total of 3 cups of veggies goes into this soup. You can switch things up if you like and add your favourites - this recipe is super forgiving!
Only 10 ingredients required!
Quick and Easy: Takes a total of 40 minutes from start to finish including the prep!
Ingredients for Mexican Soup
You only need 10 ingredients to make this amazing veggie soup:
- Taco Seasoning: Use store bought ot make your own. Here's a great recipe that you can check out.
- Capsicum or Bell Peppers: Use green or red or yellow. Personally, I love green capsicum because it adds a nice peppery heat.
- Beans: I've used cooked kidney beans. You can use black beans, cannellini beans, pinto beans, lima beans or even chickpeas. Just make sure they are cooked or if using canned - drained and rinsed
- Jalapenos: Use fresh or canned. Or switch them up with some chipotle peppers for a real smoky flavour
- Tomatoes: I like using fresh but you can swap this with canned tomatoes (use ½ can)
How to make Veg Mexican Soup - Step by Step
1. In a heavy bottomed pot, heat oil and add garlic. Saute for 10-15 seconds and add onions and bell peppers.
2. Cook till onions are almost translucent and add the seasoning mix, salt, jalapenos and tomatoes
3. Once the tomatoes start to soften, add water or stock (stock can add more flavour but don't worry if you don't have some on hand)
4. Add corn kernels to the soup and mix
5. Add cooked kidney beans or your choice of beans and give it a mix
6. Bring the soup to a quick boil and then lower the heat. Cover and let this simmer for 20 minutes
7. Add cornflour slurry and quickly give it a mix so that it doesn't form any lumps. Simmer the soup for 3-4 minutes
8. Squeeze some fresh lime on top, sprinkle fresh coriander/cilantro and the soup is ready! Let the soup rest for 10-15 minutes before serving
This is my favorite bowl of comfort food. I think I saw something like this on Pinterest a long time ago, and started recreating the flavors at home. The first time I made it, we just could not get enough of the soup and we polished off the entire pot. And since then, this soup makes a regular appearance at the dinner table! Because this is all you need.
It's hearty and filling and a one pot meal to soothe your soul on days when you are blue. I've made this with chicken, corn, tofu and today, beans.
Mexican Soup Toppings
Top it with some grated cheddar, crushed tortilla chips, avocado, freshly chopped onions, tomatoes, sour cream and lots of coriander to load this up with some more flavor.
More Mexican Recipes:
- Instant Pot Chipotle Chili (Pressure Cooker Chili Recipe)
- Eggnog Tres Leches
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice with Corn and Peppers
- One Pot Mexican Rice and Sausages
- The Best Slow Cooker Chipotle BBQ Pulled Pork
- Chicken Fajita Quesadillas - Fast and Easy!
- Chicken Enchilada Soup (Made in the Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker Recipe)
- Mexican Prawn Avocado Taco Salad
Watch the Recipe Video
LOVE THIS RECIPE? Subscribe to my newsletter and be the first to receive all new recipes!
Comforting Vegetarian Mexican Soup with Beans
- 1 tablespoon Oil any neutral flavoured vegetable oil - canola, sunflower, rice bran
- 1 teaspoon minced Garlic
- 1 cup chopped Onions
- ¾ cup chopped Green Capsicum sub with red or yellow bell peppers or a mix
- 2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup chopped Tomatoes sub with ½ canned tomatoes
- 2 chopped Jalapenos
- ¼ cup Corn
- ½ cup cooked Kidney Beans or any other cooked beans of your choice
- 3 cups Water or Vegetable Stock
- 1 ½ tablespoons Cornstarch
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat oil and add garlic. Sauté for 10-15 seconds and add onions and bell peppers.
- Cook till onions and bell peppers start to soften and add the taco seasoning, salt, jalapeños and tomatoes. Stir once or twice so that the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Once the tomatoes start to soften, add water or stock (stock can add more flavour but don't worry if you don't have some on hand)
- Add corn kernels to the soup and mix. Add cooked kidney beans or your choice of beans and give it a mix. Bring the soup to a quick boil and then lower the heat. Cover and let this simmer for 20 minutes
- Add cornflour slurry and quickly give it a mix so that it doesn't form any lumps. Simmer the soup for 3-4 minutes
- Squeeze some fresh lime on top, sprinkle fresh coriander/cilantro and the soup is ready! Let the soup rest for 10-15 minutes before serving
- In case you can't get hold of store bought taco seasoning, make your own by combining ½ tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon cumin powder and ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- I used a combination of Kidney Beans and Edamame in the soup
- A combination of red, green and yellow bell peppers makes the soup more flavourful
- If you can't find Jalapeños, substitute them with green chilis