This crispy tofu broccoli stir fry is fast and easy, and I’m showing you how its possible to make crispy tofu at home without deep frying it. This vegetarian recipe makes just enough sauce to coat the tofu and broccoli so that they don’t get soggy and still retain a crunch. Isn’t that the real pleasure of eating a good stir fry?
For the Crispy Tofu:
- 400 grams/.8 pounds Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 tablespoons Cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup low sodium Light Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Hoisin Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Cornflour
- 1/4 cup Water
For the Stir Fry:
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece Ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 whole head of Broccoli, stems removed and cut into florets (approx 600 grams)
- Toasted Sesame Seeds and chopped Green Onions for topping
- Dab the tofu with a kitchen towel or paper towel to get rid of any extra moisture. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes and toss them in a mixture of cornflour, salt and pepper.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and spread the tofu pieces out so that they are evenly layered on the pan. Cook each side till its a light golden brown and remove from the pan. Don’t worry if the tofu pieces stick to each other a bit. You can easily pull them apart once they are cooked and crispy.
- Heat oil in the same pan and once its hot, add garlic and ginger. Saute for a minute and add the broccoli florets. Cook them for a minute and pour the sauce into the pan. Stir fry for a minute or two on high heat to let the sauce thicken and then add the tofu. Quickly toss everything together and turn off the flame. Top with sesame seeds and green onions and serve.
- If you’d like more sauce, increase the water by 1/4 cup.
- If you can’t find extra firm tofu, remove the tofu from the packaging and place it on a chopping board. Place a flat, heavy object on top and let this sit for 15-20 minutes. Or you can get one of these fancy tofu presses which essentially does the same job of removing extra liquid from the tofu.
- You can also use other vegetables in the recipe including snow peas, carrots, beans and mushrooms.