Super easy jalapeno mac and cheese recipe made on the stovetop for easy, no fuss weeknight dinners. Its saucy and extra cheesy and made in one pot so you don’t have a ton of dirty dishes to wash after.
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 4 Jalapenos
- 2½ tablespoons Flour
- 3 cups Milk
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 1/2 cups Water
- 1½ cups Elbow Macaroni (dry or any other small pasta)
- 1 cup Cheese – grated (I used a mix of Mozzarella and cheddar)
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- Start by deseeding the jalapenos and chopping the jalapenos
- In a large pot, add butter and jalapenos. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- In the same pan, add the flour. Cook the flour on low flame for a minute. Slowly add milk while whisking it into the flour to make sure there are no lumps. Increase the heat, and keep whisking till the mixture comes to a boil. Lower the flame and cook for 3-4 minutes till the sauce thickens up and it’s consistency is almost like heavy cream.
- Add pepper, Italian seasoning and mix. Add water and macaroni and bring this to a boil. Simmer till the macaroni is cooked through (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Add cheese and mix. The cheese will melt in under a minute. Serve hot.
- Pasta: This recipe works well with any pasta that cooks in 10 minutes so spirals, small shells etc all work in this recipe
- Jalapenos: If I’m making this for my family I don’t deseed the jalapenos because we love the heat, but if that’s too much for you make sure to remove the seeds. If you want the flavour to be even milder, use canned jalapenos
- Veggies: You can also add veggies such as mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, carrots or any other vegetable you like.
- The trick to a creamy sauce is to keep whisking while adding milk to the roux (butter + flour) and make sure there are no lumps.