Easy tandoori whole baked cauliflower recipe which makes a stunning, healthy vegetarian main course!
- 1 Cauliflower, whole head of (approx. 1000 – 1200 gms)
- 3 large quartered Onions
- 3 quartered Potatoes
- 3 tablespoons (Oil)
- 1 cup hung Curds
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder (Red)
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric (Powder)
- 2 teaspoons Coriander (Powder)
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala (Powder)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala (Powder)
- 2 tablespoons Ginger Garlic (Paste)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander (Chopped for garnishing)
- Lime Juice
- Wash the cauliflower and remove the stem and leaves, while keeping the flower whole.
- Fill a large pot (big enough for the cauliflower) halfway with water and bring it to a boil. Once the water starts boiling, carefully place the cauliflower and blanch for 5 minutes. Strain and let the cauliflower cool down a bit.
- Mix together curds, a tablespoon of oil, both chili powders, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, chaat masala powder, ginger garlic paste and salt till blended.
- Once the cauliflower is cool, rub the curds mixture all over the cauliflower, potatoes and onions. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- Brush an oven proof skillet or roasting pan large enough to fit the cauliflower with oil.
- Place the cauliflower in the skillet along with onions and potatoes and brush with oil. Bake for 20 -25 minutes till the top is golden brown and the cauliflower is cooked through. (Half way through, brush once more with oil)
- Squeeze lime juice and sprinkle coriander leaves on top. Serve immediately.
In case you don’t have all the spices on hand, substitute the powders with 2 – 3 tablespoons store bought Tandoori Masala.
Hang the curds for at least half an hour to drain most of the whey.
I used a cast iron skillet to bake this cauliflower but any oven proof baking pan will do.
You can marinate the cauliflower, place it in the baking dish and store it in the refrigerator. Place it in the oven 25 minutes before you are ready to eat.