This quick and easy Egyptian beetroot dip is healthy and looks beautiful on the table, which makes it perfect to serve at holidays, parties and family get togethers. Nobody will be able to resist that vibrant colour. Serve it with crackers for a crunchy, creamy combination.
- 5 medium sized Beetroots
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 cup Greek Yoghurt
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Coriander Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground Pepper
- Toasted Pine Nuts, Pistachios and Feta for garnish
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees celsius.
- Cut off the beetroot stems 1 cm from the roots. Scrub the beetroots and wrap them individually in aluminium foil. Wrap the unpeeled garlic pods also in foil.
- Bake the beetroots for 1 hour in the oven. Place the wrapped garlic pods also in the oven 40 minutes after placing the beets to bake.
- Cool the beets. Peel both the beets and the garlic. Chop the beets roughly. Place the beets, garlic, yoghurt, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and paprika in a food processor and process till smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill till required. Serve with warm, crusty bread or crackers.
- Look for beetroots which have fresh, green leaves and roots which smooth and firm and are not bruised
- Cook the beets either in the oven, or with a little water in the microwave at high for 10 minutes
- You can also boil the beets in water on the stove till tender