Kick in the December vibes with this Fresh Apple Pie Granola that is vegan and gluten free. Made using fresh apples and the best ingredients, this granola makes for a really healthy alternative to snack on! Oh and – breakfast is sorted!
Let’s talk about Fresh Apple Pie Granola today because OMG we are already in December. Yes it’s already the first of December and I’m still stuck in June I think. Except for the weather which is brrrr COLD which makes this apple pie granola so perfect.
Is the name of this recipe a little confusing? Let me explain. This apple pie granola is obviously fresh, but it’s made with FRESH apples as opposed to all those granola recipes online that use dehydrated, packaged apples. I just don’t get it guys. When we can use fresh apples which also add some juice, flavor and oomph to this apple pie granola, why use the dried packaged variety.
The only thing this means is that your baking time increases a bit because we are sort of dehydrating the apples while we cook the granola in the oven. But that’s not a problem. It just means that our kitchen smells of apple pie a little longer. Which is never a bad thing IMO.
This apple granola is also naturally vegan and gluten free so all you guys there who want breakfast but don’t want to cook it every morning and are vegan or have gluten intolerance, I hope this makes you very, very happy.
Can we also talk about how the year is already over? And how my list of things to do is still intact. Like no change because I’ve been sipping chai and watching netflix. It’s the weather I tell you. Just makes me want to climb under a blanket and never come out. Which I end up doing most days.
But baking this granola is like so much fun. I feel like putting on a santa hat (does anyone even do that anymore? I know I’m still living in the 90s) and putting on happy christmas carols and tapping my feet as I mix and sprinkle and bake. And that smell. Just like homemade apple pie. Turning simple oats and spices and maple syrup into crisp granola clusters that are more snack-y than breakfast-y. Because fistfuls of granola, knee high socks and Denver’s t-shirt – that’s my life.
Can we please rewind the clock a little? I’m not done with this year yet. But hopefully, next year will be even more awesome. And now I’m talking like we are at the end of 2016. But not yet, there is more food coming!
Fresh Apple Pie Granola (Vegan and Gluten Free)
- 3 cups Rolled Oats or Jumbo Oats
- 1 cup Almonds chopped roughly or whole
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Clove Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Apple large and diced (I don't bother peeling it)
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil melted
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce or Apple Puree
- 1/3 cup Maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Brown sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 325F/160C. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix together oats, almonds, cinnamon powder, clove powder, nutmeg powder, salt and apples.
- In another bowl whisk together coconut oil, vanilla extract, applesauce, maple syrup and brown sugar. Add this to the oat mixture and mix well till everything is tossed properly.
- Spread the mixture on the baking sheet and bake for 60-65 minutes, mixing everything once every 20 minutes or so to avoid burning. I also like to rotate my baking sheet halfway through because my oven bakes a little unevenly.
- By the end of the baking process, the granola should be nice and toasted and be light golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely. Break the granola into clusters and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. In case it gets a little soggy, just flash roast in a preheated oven for 5-6 minutes.