Garam Masala Eggless Apple Bundt Cake – easy, moist, spiced cake made with fresh apples and glazed with a brown butter rum sauce.
For the Cake
- 1 cup Almond Milk (or regular milk)
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- 2 large Apples (finely chopped)
- 2 Limes Zest and Juice (separately)
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour or Maida
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 3/4 cup packed Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
For the Brown Butter Rum Sauce
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2–3 tablespoons Dark Rum
- In a bowl mix together almond milk (or regular milk) and vinegar and set aside while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Add lemon juice to chopped apples to make sure they don’t oxidise and turn brown.
- Grease your bundt cake pan well, making sure to get the crevices. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, garam masala, cinnamon powder, ginger and lime zest. In another bowl, whisk together the almond milk and vinegar mix, brown sugar, oil and vanilla extract.
- Now pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix till combined well. Fold in the chopped apple, and pour the mixture into the greased bundt cake pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes till a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Start checking the cake around the 40 minute mark.
- While the cake is baking, make the glaze. Heat butter in a pan. It should start foaming and frothing and will start browning. You should start smelling a nutty flavour. Once the butter is a golden brown, switch off the flame and pour the butter through a sieve into a bowl. Whisk in the powdered sugar, vanilla and rum till the mixture is smooth. Set aside till the cake finishes baking.
- Once the cake is baked, invert it onto a plate or baking sheet. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and let it set for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm. The cake can be stored uncovered for up to 2 days.