These Mini Branana Berry Muffins are really healthy because they are made of oat bran and contain really less flour. No artificial sweeteners have been added, which makes these a dessert that can be eaten without the guilt taking over. Binge mode = on!
I did not make a typo in the title. These are my version of mini Banana + Bran + Berry + Healthy = Branana Berry Muffins. Tell me you don’t like how that sounds? Let’s say it together. BRANANA Berry Muffins. And once more. Branana Berry Muffins. YAY.
You know how you have a pile in your closet which is called the I will wear these when I loose some weight? Everyone has one of those right? Bah no big deal. But BIG DEAL. I have TWO of those now. It started small and then became too big for one stack. It’s a result of all those apple pie chips that I’ve been making. But it’s so difficult to stop because I am like WOWZA how did I never think of that before?
Meanwhile, I’ve been trying to eat healthy but it’s not easy when you live with a husband who guzzles down Limca like nobody’s business and doesn’t put on a single ounce. And then demands ham and cheese sandwiches. Which are sooo good with some melted cheese. See how easy it is to get distracted?
Coming back to my Branberry Muffins which are a desperate attempt to satisfy the craving for some cake that I have five times a day. Guys you are in for a big surprise. These muffins are mostly Oat Bran with very little flour. More bran than flour. Only 1 tablespoon of butter and NO Sugar! Yes, NO Sugar! How cool is that? It took me a few tries and a little help from some awesome bakers out there but it worked. Yes it did. And no, they are not dry and tough and boring. They are all cute and sweet and soft and moist and plump like real muffins are supposed to be.
In other news, I cut Denver’s hair the other day. It was a shitting-bricks kind of an experience. Pragya put this crazy idea in my head and I even managed to convince Denver I could do it. HA. Little did I know how not-easy it is. I started chopping hair off from everywhere with no idea of what I was doing. And then mid-way it all magically came together. And can you believe it – it actually looked good. So now I’m officially the barber cum chef of the house. So all you ladies with boyfriends and husbands, take ’em scissors and get chopping I tell ya!
But before that, give these Brananas a try, will you? I really like that name. Also are you on Pinterest and can we be friends please? Follow me and leave your Pinterest ID in the comments section below so that I can follow you back. C’moooon.Print
Healthy oat bran and banana muffins aka branana muffins with cranberries. This recipe uses only a tablespoon of butter and has no artificial sweeteners.
- ¾ cup Oat Bran
- 1 cup Milk ((I used skimmed))
- ½ cup Bananas (mashed (I used two small bananas))
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon (powder (optional))
- handful Cranberries (A dried , chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted Butter (melted)
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 175 degree Celcius.
- In a bowl, mix together oat bran, milk, bananas and vanilla extract and let the mixture sit for 10-15 minutes. This will help soak the oat bran so that the muffins are not dry.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder (if using), cranberries and salt. Set aside.
- In a different bowl, whisk together butter, honey and maple syrup.
- Once the bran mixture has soaked for 10 minutes, add the butter mixture. Mix well. Finally add the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Scoop mixture into lined muffin tins. These muffins don’t rise too much so you can fill till the top. If using mini tins, bake for 12-15 minutes. If using regular sized muffin tins, bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Once baked, let the muffins cool for a few minutes before turning them out on a wire mesh.
- This recipe makes 15 mini muffins or 6 large muffins.
I used mini muffin tins to bake these and they gave me 15 muffins.
Regular sized muffin tins will make 6-8 muffins.