Healthy quinoa apple kheer is a low calorie Indian festival dessert, full of fiber and nutrition and a perfect way to celebrate Diwali or Dussehra with your family!
- 1 1/2 cups Quinoa (cooked)
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- 1 Apple (finely chopped)
- 750 ml Milk (Skim)
- 8–10 strands Saffron
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom (crushed)
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Pistachios (Chopped)
- Apples (Sliced for topping)
- In a pot, heat ghee and add the finely chopped apples. Saute for 3-4 minutes till slightly soft and add quinoa, milk, saffron and cardamom to it.
- Bring it to a boil and simmer for 35-40 minutes till milk reduces by about one thirds and the kheer thickens up. You can simmer for longer if you like your kheer really thick.
- Add sugar and stir till combined. Cool to room temperature, and then refrigerate for an hour or so.
- Serve chilled, topped with chopped pistachios and apple slices.
Here’s how to cook quinoa
Clean the quinoa thoroughly under running water, to get rid of the coating called saponin which can give it a bitter taste
Quinoa absorbs a lot of water, and pretty quickly so be careful not to burn it. How do I know? Umm guess 😛