Homemade Creamy Vegetable Soup is an insanely delicious, creamy vegetable soup without any cream. Its perfect if you are looking for a vegetarian meal or just something light and easy.
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ cup chopped Onions
- ½ cup chopped Celery
- 1 cup chopped Carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced Garlic
- 1 cup chopped Green Beans
- 1 cup sliced Mushrooms
- 1 cup Broccoli Florets
- 1 cup Corn Kernels
- 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 3 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Saute: Heat butter and olive oil in a dutch oven and add onions, celery and carrots. Cook for a few minutes till the onions soften, making sure not to brown them. Add the garlic, beans, mushrooms, broccoli and corn and saute for 2-3 minutes. Mix in the thyme and oregano and add the flour.
- Roux: Add the flour along with thyme and oregano and cook the flour with veggies for a minute and a half. Add the whole milk slowly, while stirring continuously. Keep stirring while you bring this to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer and thicken: Add salt and pepper and let everything simmer for 6-7 minutes or till the soup thickens. Add a little broth or more milk to thin it out if its too thick for you. Serve hot.
- You can use pre-cut or frozen veggies to make this soup even faster
- Feel free to add half & half or cream if you prefer, in combination with the milk
- To make this soup non vegetarian, add some cooked chicken, ham or shrimp towards the end
- To make this into a meal, you can also add cooked pasta to the soup