This Indian Style Whole Masala Roast Chicken is a spicy, juicy roast chicken recipe that makes for a great main dish at holiday tables!
- 1 Whole Chicken (skin-on) (See Note 1)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Ginger Paste
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Paste
- 1/2 tablespoon Pepper Powder
- 1 teaspoon Jeera Powder (Cumin)
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Vinegar
- 50 g Butter (Melted)
- Salt to taste
- 3 – 4 quartered Potatoes
- 3 quartered Onions
- 3 Pods Garlic (whole, halved)
- 1 Lemon (sliced)
- Wash the chicken and pat dry.
- Mix together chili powder, ginger, garlic paste, pepper, jeera, honey, vinegar, butter and salt into a smooth paste.
- Apply the chili paste all over the chicken, into the crevices and under the skin wherever there are gaps. If you have extra marinade remaining, you can use it to brush the chicken while it cooks.
- Cover and marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours or overnight. I highly recommend marinating it overnight in the refrigerator.
- If you leave it in the fridge, remove it 45 minutes before cooking to let it come to room temperature.
- Use an oven proof baking dish and add potatoes, onions, garlic and lemon slices to the bottom. Tie the chicken legs together with a kitchen string (as shown in the picture) and transfer it on top of the veggies.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 220 degrees celsius for 90 minutes or 1 1/2 hours. Keep brushing the chicken with the fats and gravy from the pan every 30 minutes or so. Give it one final brush in the last 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, cover with aluminium foil and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with all the veggies at the bottom of the pan. Don’t forget to squeeze out the garlic and lemon on top of the chicken for an extra kick!
The chicken I used was approximately 1.2 kgs.