Instant Naan bread recipe which doesn’t require any yeast or eggs and takes only 30 minutes from start to finish and can be made on the gas stove in a skillet. No oven or tandoor.
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon (Oil)
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Sesame Seeds (for sprinkling and melted butter for brushing)
- In a large bowl, mix together both the flours, baking soda, sugar and salt. Stir to combine well.
- In a glass, mix together yogurt, water and oil.
- Start adding the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture little by little, and keep kneading the dough as you go. If the dough is too dry, add water by the teaspoon or some extra flour if the dough is a little wet.
- Knead for a few minutes till the dough is soft and supple. Cover with a damp towel and set aside for 20 -25 minutes.
- Heat a flat non-stick pan or skillet or tawa. In the meanwhile, lightly roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness without applying too much force. Use a little dry flour if the dough is sticky. The shape doesn’t matter.
- Brush the top lightly with water, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Lightly press so that the seeds stick to the dough. Turn it over, and brush the other side with water as well.
- Now place the bottom side down (without sesame seeds) on the tawa so that the side with sesame seeds is facing up. Cover immediately with a lid, which should be big enough to cover the naan. The naan should start bubbling up. Wait for 45 seconds before flipping it over. Give it 30 seconds on the other side as well, and take it off the pan.
- Apply melted butter immediately and serve hot.
This dough can also be used to make instant bhaturas
Store the naans wrapped in a tea towel in an airtight container for up to a day