Kabuli Chana Pulao is a one pot recipe where spices, chickpeas and rice are cooked together till the rice is fluffy. It’s a delicious weeknight dinner that doesn’t take long to cook and tastes best when paired with raita.
- 1 cup long grain Basmati Rice
- 2 tablespoon Ghee or Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds or Jeera
- 1 pinch Asafoetida or Hing
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds or Methi dana
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds or Rai
- 1 teaspoon Nigella Seeds or Kalonji
- 1 teaspoon Fennel or Saunf
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Green Cardamoms
- 2 2″ Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 cup sliced Onions
- 2 teaspoon Ginger – Garlic Paste
- 1 cup boiled Chickpeas or Kabuli Chana
- 1 medium Potato, diced into cubes
- 1/2 cup diced Carrot
- 1/2 cup Cauliflower Florets
- 1/2 cup chopped Tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder or Haldi
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Kasuri Methi
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped Coriander
- Prep rice: Wash and soak the rice for 15 minutes.
- Tempering: Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, nigella seeds and fennel and let the seeds crackle.
- Cook the aromatics: Next add bay leaf, cardamoms and cinnamon and fry for a few seconds. Add the onions and fry till they are slightly brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and cook for 1/2 a minute stirring continuously.
- Add the rest: Add boiled chickpeas along with potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and salt and cook for two minutes stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes, turmeric and chilli powder and cook for another minute or two. Next add the soaked rice and 2 cups of water. Also add the garam masala and crushed kasuri methi. Give this a quick stir.
- Cook the rice: Once the rice comes to a boil, lower the heat and cook covered till the rice is done and all the water has been absorbed. Take off the heat. Fluff rice with a fork. Serve hot garnished with the chopped coriander.
- Chickpeas: Canned chickpeas can be used in this recipe. Just drain off all the liquid and give them a quick rinse before adding them to the pot
- Rice: You can substitute short grained rice for basmati rice. The cooking time will have to be adjusted
- Vegetables: Apart from the vegetables mentioned above, beans, mushrooms, paneer also taste great in this pulao
- Water: To add more flavour, you can use vegetable or chicken stock instead of water
- Vegan Chana Pulao: To make this recipe vegan, use oil instead of ghee