Leftover Mashed Potato Ham Cakes are the best way to use up extra mashed potatoes for a delicious, cheesy appetiser that everyone will go crazy for! These are like cutlets or cheesy pancakes and taste amazing served with sour cream. Recipe Video ABOVE.
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella
- 1 Egg
- ¼ cup Flour (Increase flour by 1/4 cup if your mashed potatoes are extra creamy)
- 1 Jalapeno, deseeded and chopped finely
- 2 Garlic Cloves, finely minced (if your mashed potatoes already have garlic, skip the extra garlic)
- 4 slices of Ham, finely chopped
- ½ cup plain Bread Crumbs (for coating)
- 4–6 tablespoons Oil for shallow frying
- Sour Cream or Mayonnaise for serving
- Mixture: In a large bowl, mix together mashed potatoes, mozzarella, egg, flour, jalapeno, garlic and ham till combined. The mixture should be thick and should hold its shape. If its too loose, add a tablespoon of a flour at a time (this will depend on the consistency of your mashed potatoes)
- Shape: Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out the mixture and form it into patties or cakes which are about ⅓ inches in thickness. Coat each cake evenly in a thin coating of breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Cook: Heat oil in a pan and fry the patties in a single layer on each side for 3-4 minutes till golden brown on both sides.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve hot with sour cream, mayonnaise, ranch dip or greek yogurt.
- These are best enjoyed immediately, but I love them cold as well
- Make them in advance: You can form these a day in advance and refrigerate them. Take them out of the fridge 10-15 minutes before frying
- Freezing: These leftover mashed potato ham cakes also freeze well. Freeze them in a single layer and then transfer them to a ziplock bag. They stay well in the freezer for up to 2 months