Super zippy and summery lemon orzo pasta salad is vegetarian, and bursting with summer produce. Tossed with corn, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, red bell peppers, spinach, feta and a light but delicious lemon salad dressing, this salad is perfect to make ahead and serve cold.
For the Salad:
- 3/4 cup dry Orzo Pasta
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup frozen or fresh Corn Kernels
- 1 cup Broccoli Florets
- 2 cups Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 cup fresh Lettuce or baby Spinach
- Feta for topping (optional)
For the Salad Dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 teaspoon Vegan Mayonnaise (or regular mayonnaise)
- 2 tablespoons Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika or Chilli Powder
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced or grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Pasta: Cook the pasta in salted water according to package directions till al dente. Drain, wash with cold water to cool the pasta and set aside.
- Prepare Veggies: Heat olive oil in a pan and roast the corn kernels on high heat till slightly charred. Remove the corn, and add the broccoli to the pan. Cook the broccoli for 2-3 minutes till slightly soft, but still crunchy.
- Combine: Add cooked pasta, corn, broccoli, tomatoes, bell peppers, lettuce and feta (if using) to a large bowl. Whisk together all the ingredients for the salad dressing in another jar or bowl, and pour all over the salad. Mix well and refrigerate for a few hours before serving.
- Feel free to add grilled chicken or shrimp to the salad if you want more protein
- I used a soy based vegan mayonnaise, but regular mayonnaise works really well too
- You can substitute feta with goats cheese, or even avocado if you want to omit dairy but still want to add some healthy fat