Low Carb Mexican Cauliflower Rice is a healthy, paleo friendly, keto friendly, vegan side dish recipe that is bursting with Mexican flavors and ready in 30 minutes!
You guys think I’m crazy right? Posting things like cauliflower rice on the blog when we can just binge eat brownies and ice cream. But before you go away, hear me out one sec. I’m serious about this healthy eating thing even if you are still on the fence.
And cauliflower rice is not the funky, hippie thing it’s made out to be. It can actually taste good! Like really really good, even to all of you who hate cauliflower. We are not talking bland, weird cauliflower taste here. This mexican cauliflower rice is bursting with all things we love about mexican food – the spice for one! I’m a big spicy food person and garlic – there has to be garlic in everything! And when you add cumin and jalapenos and tomatoes and onions and bell peppers and lots of coriander, you have a winner!
Plus it tastes like a good rice side dish. I’m not even going to pretend like it’s the real thing. But that’s how it is when you are substituting good for bad. It’s never going to be the real thing. But it can be a new different real thing. Like mexican cauliflower rice can be our new real. Our new healthy real and nobodys going to judge you for it in these parts. Because we are in this together folks. And I get you. Wanting to cut back a little on the unhealthy stuff and make space for more veggies and real food.
Let’s be honest with each other for a minute. I’m not going to stop gorging on desserts once in a while. I really can’t because it’s hopeless to even think like that. I mean, desserts are important in life. Real important and if you are thinking of quitting this food blog, I have some muffins coming up, with bananas and real chocolate. There, have I made you stay a while longer?
All I’m saying is that we need to make place for those desserts and find a little more balance in life so that we can enjoy everything guilt-free. And this mexican cauliflower rice is us making place. But not really giving up on the good things. Because this tastes delicious! And I know because I finished the bowl all by myself. In one sitting while watching Netflix for lunch. Not too bad eh?
Also try: Low Carb Asian Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry
I love making this mexican cauliflower rice into a bowl with a large-ish dollop of sour cream, sliced avocados for that buttery avocado flavor, jalapenos and lots of coriander and lime. Toppings are everything. And next time, I’m thinking blistered corn, tomatoes, maybe some guacamole and salsa too? Go crazy guys.
If you are really not into this kind of thing, tell me. We can still talk about this. but I love how adventurous we are together. xoxo.
I have gone all out with Cauliflower. You Should Too:
- Curried Roasted Cauliflower Bowl + Tahini Sauce
- Healthy Cauliflower Rice Broccoli Casserole
- Creamy Cauliflower Chowder (30 minute and Gluten Free)
- Easy Tandoori Whole Baked Cauliflower
- 21 Healthy Cauliflower Recipes that are also tasty!
Watch Low Carb Mexican Cauliflower Rice Recipe Video (Step by Step)
Low Carb Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- 3 cups Cauliflower Florets stems removed and washed
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Onion finely chopped (small)
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Jalapeno finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Bell Peppers diced
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika Powder or red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander / Cilantro chopped
- Salt to taste
- More cilantro sliced avocados, jalapenos, lime juice etc for topping
- Add cauliflower florets to a food processor or chopper and pulse till the cauliflower resembles small bits (like rice). Make sure not to go all the way or it can turn mushy. See picture for reference.
- Heat oil in a pan and add onions, garlic and jalapenos. Stir fry for a few minutes till the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, cumin powder, paprika powder and salt to the pan. Cook the tomatoes for a few minutes till they soften. Add the diced bell peppers and cauliflower rice to the pan and mix well. Stir fry the cauliflower for 3-4 minutes till it’s tender.
- Top with your favorite topping and serve hot.
- We like our food spicy, but if you don’t, feel free to de-seed the jalapeno
- Cauliflower rice is best served immediately. Stored cauliflower rice can taste a bit weird and can turn smelly. And it only takes 15 minutes to put together anyway!
- Our favourite toppings are sour cream, cilantro, avocados and sometimes fried tortilla chips