Here’s step by step instructions to make homemade Indian paneer (cottage cheese) in just 15 minutes.
- 1 litre Full Fat Milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (Or)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar (Or)
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- Bring milk to roaring boil and reduce the flame to a simmer.
- Add the souring agent of your choice (lemon juice, vinegar or yogurt) and mix with a spoon. Simmer for 2-3 minutes till you see the milk starting to split.
- Switch off the flame as soon as the milk splits completely and separates into whey and cheese curds.
- Line a sieve with a muslin cloth or cheese cloth and place this over another vessel. Strain the paneer into the cheesecloth and collect the whey into the bottom. Use the whey for kneading dough or to make a refreshing drink.
- Once the whey has strained out, you can use the paneer as is. Or if you wish to shape it into a block, cover the paneer with the edges of the cheese cloth and place a heavy weight on it. Set this aside for 10 minutes. Cut and store the paneer in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.