An authentic Mangalorean style ripe mango curry which is a must try if you love combining sweet savoury flavors! This is a unique recipe from Southern India for every mango lover.
- 8 – 10 Mangoes (Small, Ripe &Wild)
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- A sprig of Curry Leaves
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 10 – 12 Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
- 5 Chillies (Whole Dried Red)
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 3 – 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger piece
- 2 Onions (medium , sliced)
- 2 tablespoons Jaggery
- 2 tablespoons Tamarind (Juice)
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Peel the mangoes and set aside. Squeeze the mango skins and collect all the juice in another bowl.
- In a pan, dry roast peppercorns, fenugreek seeds, red chillies, mustard seeds and cumin seeds till a sweet, nutty aroma releases. This should take 3-4 minutes. Be careful to roast the spices on a slow flame, so as not to burn the spices.
- Grind together the roasted spices, garlic, ginger and onions with a bit of water till smooth.
- Heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves. Once they start spluttering add the ground mixture along with turmeric. Saute this paste for 8-10 minutes till you start seeing drops of oil on the sides.
- Add mangoes, juice from the skins, a cup of water, jaggery and salt. Bring this to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes till the gravy thickens slightly. Taste and add more tamarind or jaggery as required.
- Serve hot with some steamed rice and a dollop of ghee.