Watch Recipe Video ABOVE. This mediterranean quinoa salad is packed with quinoa, chickpeas, black beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives and feta which are all good-for-you ingredients. Healthy, delicious, gluten free and vegetarian, this salad can be made ahead which makes it perfect for lunch, parties, birthdays, barbecues and picnics.
For the Salad Dressing:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves Garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black Pepper
For the Salad :
- 1 cup cooked Quinoa
- 1/2 cup boiled Chickpeas
- 1/4 cup cooked Black beans
- 1 cup diced Bell Peppers
- 1 cup of diced Cucumber
- 1 cup Cherry or Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup diced Onion
- 1/4 cup Olives, pitted and sliced (green and black)
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese, cut into 1/4” cubes + extra for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup fresh Basil, torn
- Add all the ingredients for the dressing to a screw top bottle and shake well till combined.
- Add quinoa, chickpeas, black beans, bell peppers, cucumber, onions, tomatoes, feta and basil to a large bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing all over and toss well. Taste and adjust the salt. Sprinkle more crumbled feta on top, and refrigerate for at 2 hours.
- Cooking quinoa in a pressure cooker: Take 1 cup of quinoa in a colander and rinse it very well, rubbing it between your hands, under the tap. Transfer the quinoa to the pressure cooker and add 1 1/2 cups of water. Close the lid and cook it on high flame for 5 minutes or 2 whistles. Take off heat and let the pressure release by itself. Open the cooker 10 minutes after taking off the flame and fluff up the quinoa with a fork
- Cooking quinoa on the stovetop: Take a cup of quinoa in a colander and rinse it very well, rubbing it between your hands, under the tap. Transfer it to a pan and add 2 cups of water to it. Bring it to a boil, then cover and let simmer on low for 15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. Take off heat and let sit covered for another 5 minutes. Fluff it up with a fork
- A cup of raw quinoa makes approximately 3 cups of cooked quinoa
- This mediterranean quinoa salad can be made vegan if you leave the feta out. If leaving the feta out, increase the amount of salt in the recipe