This potato cabbage fry is a really tasty way of cooking cabbage. A short list of ingredients and 20 minutes of cooking time – this Indian recipe is a game changer.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 2 green chillies/ serrano peppers, slit lengthwise
- 8–10 curry leaves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 head of Cabbage (approx 550 grams/ 1.2 pounds), shredded thinly
- 2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder/ paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup grated coconut (optional)
- Heat oil in a large kadhai or wok and add mustard seeds, ginger, chillies and curry leaves.
- Once the mustard starts sputtering add onions. Stir fry for two minutes and add cabbage and potatoes, along with turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix everything well, and then cover and cook on a low flame for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice in between.
- Add the green peas, mix well and cook again for 5-7 minutes till the potatoes are tender. Turn off the flame, top with grated coconut and serve immediately.
- Shredding cabbage: You can use a knife or a mandoline to shred the cabbage
- Potatoes: Make sure to cut the potatoes into small pieces or they won’t cook as fast as the cabbage
- Green peas and coconut: You can use frozen green peas and coconut in this recipe. Just thaw them in room temperature water for a couple of minutes before adding them