Mangalorean style rava or semolina crusted pomfret fish fry is an authentic spicy, crunchy coastal India recipe. It’s really easy to make, and will make you want to lick your fingers!
- 4 Pomfret (Whole Fish, cleaned)
- 3 tablespoons (Meet Mirsang)
- 1/2 cup Rava (or Semolina)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Coconut Oil for Frying (See Note 1)
To make Meet Mirsang
- 3 tablespoons Chili Powder, Red (I recommend Kashmiri Red )
- 3/4 tablespoon Cumin (Roasted Powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric (Powder)
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 5 tablespoons Vinegar
- If you don’t have meet mirsang, mix together all the ingredients listed above for it.
- Rub meet mirsang marinade and salt all over the fish and set aside for 10 minutes. Making slits in the fish before marinating helps the masala penetrate inside so it’s highly recommended.
- Take rava or semolina in a flat dish and dip each fish in it. Use your hands to sprinkle it on the fish, till it’s crusted well on each side.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the fish for eight to ten minutes on both sides.
- Serve hot.
If you aren’t fond of coconut oil, feel free to use any other vegetable oil or ghee.