Make the most of mango season with raw mango and turmeric brown rice. A healthier alternative to Maavinakayi Chitranna/ Mangai sadham as it is locally called.
- 1 cup Brown Rice (raw)
- 2 tablespoons (Oil)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal (black gram skinned)
- 1 teaspoon Chana Dal (split gram)
- 2 Chilies (dried Red)
- 1 Onion (large , sliced)
- 1 Mango (Raw , peeled and grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder (Red)
- 1/3 teaspoon Turmeric (Powder)
- 2 sprigs Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste.
- Pressure cook brown rice till cooked through. This takes approximately 12-15 minutes. Drain, if required and keep aside.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a large pan or kadhai and add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and red chilies. Saute for a minute till the dals are lightly brown.
- Add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, and add raw mango. Cook the raw mango till it starts wilting slightly (a minute or two) and mix in red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and curry leaves.
- Add cooked rice and toss everything together. Cover and cook on low flame for 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with a few more curry leaves or coriander and serve hot.