Indian cooking does not have to be as laboursome as most think and this Raw Mango and Turmeric Brown Rice is here to tell you that! It is a really simple 30 minute recipe that celebrates the taste of mango and how healthy brown rice is! Binge on without feeling any guilt!
Who is as excited as me that mango season is finally here? I’m going a little crazy with mangoes currently, which is going to result in an overload of mango recipes on this blog. But if you are in, we can do this. We can make the most of it. Starting with this tangy 30 minute raw mango and turmeric brown rice. If you are anywhere near raw mangoes, I recommend picking them up immediately and heading straight home to try this out.
I made this for the first time about 3 years ago when we were still in Hyderabad and when this blog (yes, it existed, but barely) was just an annual distraction (I probably posted once a year). Obviously there was a terrible picture to go with it but this mango rice was still a revelation. I realize how this is nothing new and there are probably several recipes online, but none that can boast of using brown rice. Because once you try this with brown rice, you will never go back to using white rice again. It’s just more chewy, nutty and soaks up all the raw mango tanginess that you throw at it. Plus it doesn’t get mushy, which is why it’s perfect. Overcooked food? I’ve got you covered.
I’ve made this every summer because raw mangoes are just plenty here in India, and you can’t resist picking them up. And life is not the same without them.
Just the fact that there is raw mango in this rice stir fry is amazing. But what’s even better is that it’s one of those 30 minute meals. Yes, I’m saying that this can be on the table in under 30 minutes so that you can enjoy a steaming bowl of tangy, nutty brown rice which is also healthy even on days when you get home at 8 PM. Traffic slowing you down every day? I got your back.
You know the strangest thing about writing a food blog? I just realized that Indian cooking does not have to be as laboursome as most think. It can be pretty quick and easy and obviously with bags of flavor.
Raw Mango and Turmeric Brown Rice
- 1 cup Brown Rice raw
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal black gram skinned
- 1 teaspoon Chana Dal split gram
- 2 Chilies dried Red
- 1 Onion large , sliced
- 1 Mango Raw , peeled and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder Red
- 1/3 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 sprigs Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste.
- Pressure cook brown rice till cooked through. This takes approximately 12-15 minutes. Drain, if required and keep aside.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a large pan or kadhai and add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and red chilies. Saute for a minute till the dals are lightly brown.
- Add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, and add raw mango. Cook the raw mango till it starts wilting slightly (a minute or two) and mix in red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and curry leaves.
- Add cooked rice and toss everything together. Cover and cook on low flame for 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with a few more curry leaves or coriander and serve hot.