Here’s an easy recipe for the perfect restaurant style paneer butter masala for all you paneer (cottage cheese) lovers! I love serving this with parathas and jeera rice. It’s always a hit with family and guests!
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 250 grams Paneer cubes (or Cottage Cheese)
- 3 Kashmiri Red Chilies
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Paste
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Paste
- 1 Bay leaves
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Cardamoms
- 1/2 teaspoon Peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons Cashew Nuts (Chopped)
- 1 teaspoon White Poppy Seeds (Khus Khus (Optional))
- 1 Onion, roughly chopped
- 6 Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala (Powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric (Powder)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Ketchup
- 1 tablespoons Kasuri Methi (Dry)
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Cream
- to taste Salt
- In a large pan or kadhai, heat a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of oil.
- Add red chillies, ginger, garlic paste and all the whole spices (bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and peppercorns). Alternatively, you can also wrap the spices in a muslin cloth and add them to the pan (take this out after the tomatoes are cooked down). Saute for a minute or two and add cashew nuts, poppy seeds (if using) and onions. Once the onions turn translucent, add the tomatoes. Mix well.
- Cover and cook till the tomatoes start breaking down and the mixture starts leaving oil at the edges. Switch off the flame and set aside to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, fish out as many whole spices as possible, and blend the mixture to a smooth paste in a food processor or blender.
- In the same pan or kadhai, heat the remaining butter and add the blended paste prepared in step #4. Add garam masala powder, chili powder, turmeric, ketchup, salt along with 1/2 cup water. Bring this to a boil.
- Once the curry comes to a boil, simmer and cook for 30 minutes, till the oil separates slightly. Cut the paneer into bite sized pieces, add it to the gravy and mix gently.
- In another pan, dry roast the kasuri methi and grind it to a fine powder. Mix kasuri methi and fresh cream in the curry and switch off the flame. Serve hot.
- Paneer: If you’d like to try and make paneer at home, you can check out this recipe
- Tomatoes: Roma tomatoes work best for paneer butter masala because they are not as sour as the local varieties