This Simple Eggless Wholewheat Carrot Cake is really delicious and though it is made of wholewheat, it retains the moisture and is really soft! The carrots and wheat make it a healthier alternative and this cake can be had for dessert or a tea time snack.
Helloooo carrot cake lovers, Happy Sunday to y’all! I’ve been away for the last few days enjoying and bingeing on my mum’s cooking including this moist-like-you-can’t-believe-it, and healthy-so-you-can-enjoy-an-extra-slice simple eggless wholewheat carrot cake.
This carrot cake is such a dream recipe to have in your recipe box, and one of those that you most definitely will make again, especially since it’s whole wheat = automatically healthier. And it’s eggless because soooo many of you keep asking me for eggless cake recipes. I’m usually not an eggless cake person, but this time, I’ve gotta admit, I couldn’t tell the difference.
My mum and I had a ball this time, trying out new recipes, testing them over and over again so that we could get them just right, eating out till we were about to burst and checking out everything we could in Bangalore in the short time that she was here. It couldn’t be a more perfect ten days!
We ended up trying out this carrot cake recipe quite a few times. The first time it was a bit sticky, the second time it was a bit dry, and so on. We finally managed to get the proportions so that it could remain eggless, wholewheat but still be soft, moist and have a beautiful crumb.
Since I already had some cream cheese lying around in the fridge, I couldn’t resist making a simple frosting to go with the cake. Because c’mon – carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and chopped walnuts is as good as it gets! This did make it less healthy, but who cares when it tastes soooo good!
This has to be your Sunday project so that you can have a delicious slice for the next 3 days. That’s why I’m posting it today. Gather all your ingredients, grease your baking pans and get ready to bake the best carrot cake you will every have!
Don’t forget to make yourself a delicious cup of masala chai when you cut yourself a slice because that combination is what tea times are made of!
If you try this out, don’t forget to tag your pictures #myfoodstories on Instagram and give me a shout out!
Simple Eggless Wholewheat Carrot Cake
- 3 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 3 cups Milk
- 2/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 teaspoons Orange or Lemon Zest
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 3 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour or Atta
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour or Maida
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Clove Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Carrots Grated
- 1/2 cup Walnuts Chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 175 degree celsius. Grease and line an 9 X 4 inch Loaf tin.
- In a small bowl, add lemon juice to milk and let it stand for 10 minutes till you prepare the other ingredients.
- Sift together both the flours, baking powder, cinnamon powder, clove powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together oil, orange or lemon zest (whichever you are using) and brown sugar using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Whisk in milk and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture, and mix till no lumps exist. Fold in the grated carrots and walnuts into the batter.
- Pour batter into the loaf tin and bake for 1 hour or till a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes after which insert it out onto a wire rack to let it cool before serving.