Watch Recipe Video above. This slow cooker chicken curry is inspired by Indian flavours and is the perfect dinner recipe. The chicken is juicy, the gravy is luscious and not watery, and its fantastic served with rice or naan bread. It’s incredibly easy, with minimal prep, while being gluten free and kid friendly too.
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 cup finely chopped Onions
- 1 tablespoon minced Garlic
- 7–8 Baby Potatoes, cut into half (or 2 large potatoes, diced into 1 inch pieces)
- 8 boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Bayleaf
- 2–3 Cloves
- 6–8 whole Peppercorns
- 1 Green Chilli, finely chopped (or Serrano Pepper)
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (or chilli flakes)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Tomato Puree
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- Chopped coriander for topping
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions and minced garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes till the onions soften. Transfer this mixture to the slow cooker along with all the other ingredients. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on high for 3.5-4 hours or low for 6 hours. Once the chicken curry is cooked, mix in the chopped coriander and serve hot on top of steamed rice or with some butter naan.
Chicken Thighs vs. Breasts: I recommend chicken thighs for this recipe because they don’t dry out and retain their juiciness in the slow cooker. You can also use bone-in chicken thighs for this recipe. If you insist on using chicken breasts, keep them whole and once the curry is cooked, use a fork to shred the chicken in the slow cooker.
Butter: Butter adds an extra layer of flavour and the fat keeps the chicken curry from drying out. You can also stir in some cream or coconut milk in the end in this recipe.
Spices: The blend of coriander powder, turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala is powerful, and adds tons of flavour. Chilli powder can be swapped with paprika or cayenne pepper in this recipe. You can also swap these spices for two tablespoons generic curry powder.