Spicy Korean Chicken Thighs in Gochujang Sauce – an intensely flavoured chicken recipe made in a cast iron pan for extra crispy, juicy thighs and a finger licking marinade!
- 6 Chicken Thighs (skin on, bone in)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- Toasted Sesame Seeds and Green Onions for topping
For the Marinade:
- 1/4 cup light Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Gochujang ((spicy Korean chili paste))
- 3 tablespoons Honey
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Paste
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Paste
- 2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Flakes ((optional))
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix together all the ingredients under marinade. Be careful not to add additional salt without tasting because both soy sauce and gochujang have salt in them.
- Add chicken and toss to coat the chicken. Marinate for at least two hours or overnight. If refrigerating overnight, take the chicken out half an hour before cooking to bring it to room temperature.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet and add chicken thighs and all the marinade to it. Sear on high flame for 2-3 minutes on either side. Reduce the flame to low, add half a cup of water and cover and cook for 30 to 40 minutes till the chicken is cooked through. Turn the chicken once halfway. Add more water if you’d like more sauce and simmer.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, top with sesame seeds, chopped green onions and serve immediately.
If you don’t have access to gochujang, substitute with the same amount of Sriracha