Spicy Nacho Cheese Sauce is really easy to make at home. It just needs seven ingredients and ten minutes and in the end you’ll have a silky, smooth, cheesy sauce that you can jar and store for a couple of days or eat immediately.
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon english mustard
- Approx 1.5 cups medium cheddar, shredded
- Add oil, butter and garlic to a saucepan and heat gently. Add the flour and cook it while stirring for a minute.
- Whisk one cup milk in slowly so that there are no lumps. Keep whisking while bringing this to a simmer. Once it starts simmering, reduce the flame and cook for another minute, and then take this off the flame.
- Stir in salt (if using), paprika, mustard and finally the cheese. Whisk till the cheese has completely melted. Add half a cup of warm milk while whisking – this helps melt the cheese more effectively and getting the sauce to the right consistency. If the cheese still doesn’t melt completely, add a splash of milk and put the pan back on the heat for a few seconds. Keep stirring till the cheese melts and then take the pan immediately off the heat. Serve immediately.
Storage: This cheese sauce is best consumed immediately. But if you’d like to store it, you can transfer it to an airtight jar once its cool and refrigerate for up to four days.
Reheating: To reheat, add a splash of milk and microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring after every 30 seconds till its reheated.