A delicious recipe for coconut based caramel custard, steamed and made on the stovetop!
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut milk (First Pressing)
- 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup Sugar
- drops Vanilla extract (Few pure)
- 3 egg yolks
- Coconut (Toasted flakes for garnishing)
- 6 (small Ramekins)
- (Aluminium Foil)
- Heat water in a steamer and let it come to a boil.
- While the water comes to a boil, gently heat the coconut milk(I recommend homemade)and 1/4 cup sugar. Stir in the sugar till it dissolves. Be careful not to let the coconut milk boil.
- Separate the egg yolks in another bowl and slowly add the coconut milk to it, while whisking continuously. If you keep whisking during the entire process there shouldn’t be any lumpy bits. But in case there are, don’t worry, just pass the whole mixture through a sieve.
- Keep aside.
- The Caramel:
- In a saucepan (preferably stainless steel), sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar evenly and add a few drops of water. Gently heat up the pan.
- You will notice that the edges start to brown first. Push the liquefied sugar towards the middle. Don’t stir the pan too often.
- The sugar will now start melting and brown pretty quickly. Its important that you do not walk away at this point. The caramel will start to brown and can go to burnt pretty quickly. Watch till it becomes amber brown and shut the flame.
- Immediately spoon the caramel in the ramekins to form a thin layer at the bottom. Be careful not to let it spill on you.
- Once you’ve layered all the ramekin bottoms, pour the custard into them.
- Cover with aluminium foil.
- Place the ramekins in the steamer. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook with the lid on for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, switch off the flame and let them stay for another 20 minutes in the steamer. Remove and cool at room temperature.
- Once cooled, you can leave them in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- To unmould, place the ramekins in warm water for a minute and invert on a plate. Garnish with coconut flakes and serve.
- In the Oven:
- If using an oven, pre-heat oven to 190 degree Celsius.
- Follow the process till step #9. After which, place the ramekins in a baking tray filled with water which comes half way up the ramekins.
- Bake uncovered for 45-60 minutes.
- Garnish with coconut flakes and serve.