If you love shrimp, you will love these Easy Thai Shrimp Cakes. They are so easy to make – the mixture actually gets made in a food processor, and then pan fried till crisp outside. Don’t skip the Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce for dipping!
- 3/4 cup finely chopped Onions
- 3/4 cup finely chopped Celery
- 500 grams/ 1 pound Shrimp (or Prawns)
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Garlic
- 2 Thai Chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 1/2 cup Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped Cilantro (Coriander)
- Salt to taste
- 3–4 tablespoons Oil
- In a food processor, add onions, celery, shrimp, egg, garlic, thai chillies, fish sauce, rice flour, cilantro (I forgot to add this in the video but this adds a ton of flavour) and salt. Blend till mixed well but still slightly chunky.
- Heat oil in a skillet, and using an ice cream scooper, scoop the mixture on the pan. Use the back of a spatula to flatten it into cakes or cutlets. Cook on each side for 5-6 minutes, and take the shrimp cakes out on a tissue lined plate. Repeat till all the mixture is used. Serve hot with Thai sweet chilli sauce.
- Shrimp: Use either fresh or frozen shrimp. Make sure the shrimp is cleaned, deveined and thawed to room temperature
- Store mixture: The mixture can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for 5-6 hours. Make sure to bring it to room temperature before cooking
- Rice Flour: Rice flour can easily be swapped with bread crumbs