Make this brown vegetarian gravy from scratch with easily available ingredients from your pantry – onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, a dash of red wine and some fresh herbs. Its rich, luxurious and full of umami!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium (90g) sliced white onion
- 1 cup (100g) sliced button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bayleaf
- ¼ cup red wine
- 5–6 dried shiitake mushrooms or porcini mushrooms
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon corn flour + ¼ cup water
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil and butter in a pan.
- Saute the onions, button mushroom, carrots, celery, bayleaf and garlic until caramelized.
- Add red wine to the pan and deglaze any bits stuck to the bottom. Cook till it reduces to less than half.
- Now add the water, shitake mushrooms and rosemary.
- Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Strain this and transfer the liquid to a saucepan. Bring this to a boil.
- Make a slurry by mixing corn flour and water and add this to the mushroom stock.
- Whisk this quickly and season with salt. Simmer till the gravy thickens. Pour into a gravy boat, and serve after 10 minutes
- Red Wine: If you’d like to skip the alcohol, you can use vegetable stock instead
- Dried Mushrooms: It’s really worth getting your hands on dried shiitake or porcini mushrooms for this recipe. They add a depth of flavour that’s hard to beat. But if you absolutely don’t have access to them, skip them and add a teaspoon of soy sauce to the gravy instead
- Fresh rosemary: You can substitute fresh rosemary with 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Reheating this vegetarian gravy: Reheat the gravy in the microwave and whisk to get rid of any lumps
- Storing veg gravy: This gravy stores well in the fridge for 2-3 days and can be easily reheated in the microwave
- Make this gravy vegan by skipping the butter