This easy vegetarian lasagna is the queen of comfort food. Its loaded with spinach ricotta, vegetables and a super easy homemade pasta sauce plus lots of cheese! A truly hearty meal in itself.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 small Onion, finely chopped (100g)
- 1 Carrot, grated (70-80 grams)
- 2 chopped Tomatoes (170g)
- 2 cups Tomato Puree (400g)/ Passata
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon each dried Thyme and Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Chilli flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (any type), chopped (175 -200g)
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped (100g)
- 200 g button Mushrooms, diced
- 1 medium Zucchini, diced
- Salt and pepper
SPINACH RICOTTA FILLING:
- 100 g / 3.5 oz blanched Spinach, chopped (Note 1)
- 200 g / 0.5 lb Ricotta
- 1/2 cup / 50 g grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon fresh Cream (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon each Salt and Pepper
- 12 no boil Lasagne sheets
- 300 g / 3 cups shredded Mozzarella
- Sauce: Start the sauce so that it can simmer while you prep everything else. Heat oil in a saucepan and saute onions, garlic and carrots. Once the onions are soft, add tomatoes, tomato puree, water, thyme, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper and let this come to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for 20-25 minutes till the tomatoes break down and the sauce is thick.
- Roasted Vegetables: Heat olive oil in a pan and saute onions and garlic. Add salt and once the onions are translucent, add bell peppers, mushrooms and zucchini. Cook on high heat for 8-10 minutes till the vegetables are cooked and any residual water has evaporated. Season with more salt and pepper if required.
- Spinach Ricotta Filling: In a bowl mix together blanched spinach, ricotta, parmesan and cream (is using). Refrigerate till ready to use.
- Layering the Lasagna:
- Preheat oven to 180C/ 350F.
- Brush the base of a large baking dish (mine is 12.5 inch by 8 inch) with olive oil. Spoon a ladleful of the sauce at the base and spread it out. Cover the base with lasagna sheets overlapping/tearing as required.
- Add all the spinach ricotta mixture and spread it out. Cover with lasagna sheets.
- Add the roasted vegetables and spread them out. This will be the thickest layer. Add 2-3 ladles of sauce (approx 1.5 cups) and spread it over the veggies. Sprinkle a cup of cheese.
- Layer with lasagna sheets. Add 2 cups sauce on top and spread it out. Sprinkle with remaining cheese
- Bake: Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the lasagna is baked through (stick a knife in the middle to check – there should be no resistance) and the cheese is golden on top.
- Rest: This is an important step. Let the lasagna rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. This helps settle the layers and the lasagna won’t fall apart when you serve.
- Spinach: You can also use frozen spinach. Make sure to thaw it fully and squeeze out all the water before using. Do the same with blanched spinach.
- Pasta: If you are using pasta that needs to be pre-cooked, boil according to package directions. Reduce the cooking time to 25 minutes and then check.
- Make Ahead: You can assemble the lasagna and refrigerate for a couple of hours and bake when required.
- Storing: The lasagna keeps well in the refrigerator for up to four days. Or you can freeze it for up to 2 months.