This watermelon salad with basil and cucumber is a summer special thats fresh, zippy and crunchy! It can be dressed without the herbs and left in the refrigerator for a few hours till you are ready to serve which makes it perfect for potlucks, barbecues and beach parties.
For the Salad
- 4 cups cubed Watermelon, chilled
- 1 1/4 cup diced English Cucumber, chilled
- 1/2 cup sliced Onions
- 3 tablespoon Coriander leaves (Cilantro), chopped
- 3 tablespoon Basil, torn
- 3 tablespoon Pomegranate Juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Put all the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and whisk together till combined.
- Place the watermelon, cucumber, onions in a salad bowl and drizzle the dressing over. Toss together. Refrigerate for at least half an hour to let the flavours seep in. Toss the cilantro and basil with the salad just before serving.
Watermelon: It’s important to choose a ripe watermelon for its firm flesh and sweet flavour that we love so much. Here’s how to pick a ripe watermelon.
Chill the ingredients: This salad is best enjoyed cold. I like to place the watermelon and cucumbers in the fridge for sometime before tossing the salad together. I also refrigerate the salad for some time before serving so that it stays cold, and this also gives a chance for the flavours to seep in.
Other Add Ons: This is a really well balanced salad and has a robust flavour from the spices. The only other addition I would make to this is crumbled feta.
Substitute for Coriander (Cilantro): If you don’t like coriander in your salad, swap it with mint leaves.