- 1 kg Potatoes peeled and cut into even 1 inch pieces
- 6 Garlic Cloves peeled and smashed
- 2/3 cup Water or Chicken Stock with no added salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Butter divided
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Cream Cheese
- More butter and chopped chives for topping
In an Instant Pot add potatoes, garlic, water, salt and one and a half tablespoons butter. Put the lid on, turn the valve to sealing and cook on manual high pressure for 8 minutes. (My Instant Pot took 10 minutes to come to pressure, so the total time taken was 18 minutes). Release pressure immediately by turning the knob to 'vent', and open the lid once the pressure is released. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes in the Instant Pot for really creamy potatoes. For fluffier mashed potatoes, you can drain the water and then mash the potatoes. Once the potatoes are mashed, mix in the remaining butter, sour cream and cream cheese. Mix well while the potatoes are still steaming hot. Taste and add more salt if required. Top with more butter and chives and serve.
- For fluffier potatoes use starchy potatoes like Russet or Yukon Gold. Those are not available here in India though but these mashed potatoes are still awesome!
- To prep potatoes in advance, you can peel and cut them and keep them soaked in water for a couple of hours in the refrigerator. This helps avoid oxidization and keeps them from turning brown
- You can also substitute with baby potatoes, in which case you don't need to cut them. You can also avoid peeling them, if you are okay with the texture, but make sure you wash them really well
- Chicken Stock or even bone broth adds a ton of flavour to mashed potatoes so feel free to use that instead of water. Its important to use stock/broth that doesn't have any added salt or you may need to adjust the amount of salt used in the recipe
Calories: 454kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 681mg | Potassium: 1456mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 373IU | Vitamin C: 67mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 3mg