- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 dried Red Chillies finely chopped (feel free to cut this down to 1 if you like your food less spicy)
- 1 tablespoon Ginger chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup Celery chopped
- 1 cup Carrots chopped
- 3 cups Assorted dried or fresh Mushrooms I used shiitake mushrooms, wood ear mushrooms and button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
- 1 cup Firm Tofu sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 pack Ramen noodles
- 1 Egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon White Pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt optional
- 1 teaspoon Toasted Sesame Oil
If using dried shiitake and wood ear mushrooms, rehydrate them by submerging them in hot water for 15-20 minutes till they soften up. Reserve the water to be used as stock in the soup. Slice all the mushrooms and set aside.
Heat oil in a pan and add red chillies and ginger. Saute till the ginger is golden brown and add the garlic. Saute the garlic for a few seconds and add the celery and carrots. Cook the carrots for a minute or two and add mushrooms, tofu, both the soy sauces and six cups water (or low sodium stock) to the pot (if using the stock from mushrooms, reduce the water to 5 cups and add the stock). Bring the pot to a boil and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Add the ramen to the pot.
While the ramen is cooking, stir together cornstarch in 1/4 cup water and slowly add it to the pot while stirring continuously. Bring the soup to a quick boil. The soup should start to thicken. Slowly add in the beaten egg, swirling with a ladle as you go to create egg ribbons in the soup. Stir in rice vinegar, white pepper, salt (if using) and sesame oil. Turn off the flame. Top with an egg or just some green onions and enjoy.
- Add chicken or pork: If you want to make this soup non vegetarian, add chicken or pork while boiling the mushrooms and tofu
- Spice levels: We like our hot and sour soup spicy so two chillies is great for us. You can always increase or reduce the chillies depending on how spicy you like your food
- Ramen: Feel free to skip the ramen altogether if you prefer just soup, but I'm a sucker for noodles!
Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 1796mg | Potassium: 742mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 5528IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 112mg | Iron: 3mg