- 3 cups Thick plain Yogurt Note 1
- 1 teaspoon Salt Note 2
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 Green Chilli finely chopped (or Serrano Pepper optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 Onion finely chopped (small)
- 2 Persian Cucumbers finely chopped
- 1 Tomato finely chopped (large )
- 1 Green Bell Pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Loosely packed Cilantro finely chopped (Note 3)
Whisk together yogurt, salt, cumin powder, green chilli and chilli powder till smooth. Add all the vegetables and mix well. Refrigerate for half an hour before serving. You will notice after refrigeration that the veggies will leave a little water. Just give it a quick mix and you are ready to go.
- Plain yogurt can be easily replaced with greek yogurt, but since its thicker, add a little water to dilute it. 1/4 cup water for this recipe should be enough.
- Raitas are usually mildly salted. Feel free to increase the amount of salt, and adjust according to taste.
- If you are going to serve raita anywhere after two hours, add the coriander just before serving so that you can preserve its fresh flavors.
- Raita can be made the previous night or in the morning and refrigerated easily for 8-10 hours.
Calories: 97kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 476mg | Potassium: 340mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 524IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 163mg | Iron: 1mg