- 400 gm Button Mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Thyme fresh
- ½ cup White Wine
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan freshly grated
- 1/2 to 1 cup Vegetable Stock
In a pan, heat oil and sauté the mushrooms in two batches till they are golden brown. Once the mushrooms are sautéed, add all the mushrooms back to the pan along with garlic and sauté for another minute.
Add half a cup of wine, along with thyme and cook till the wine is reduced to half.
Reduce the flame to low and stir in cream and parmesan
Add the thickness with vegetable stock. Add half a cup first and if you’d like your sauce more runny, add some more.
- Mushrooms: Button mushrooms work really in this recipe. You can also use cremini mushrooms if you have access to them.
- Thyme: Fresh thyme is amazing here, but if you only have dried thyme, use 1/4 teaspoon.
- White Wine: Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc both work really well in this recipe. I wouldn't use any wine that's labelled cooking wine because they tend to have a weird taste. If you'd like to skip the wine, substitute it with stock.
- Healthier Mushroom Sauce: To substitute the cream, and make this mushroom sauce healthier, use 1 cup milk whisked with a tablespoon of cornstarch. Add it to the sauce and keep stirring it till the sauce thickens. Thin it out with stock as required.
- Parmesan: Only use freshly grated parmesan because pre-grated parmesan doesn't melt and thicken well. If you don't have access to parmesan, use cream cheese instead.
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 347mg | Potassium: 395mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1035IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 196mg | Iron: 1mg