For the Base
- 2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Oil
For the Pizzas
- 1/2 cup Pizza Sauce
- 1 cup Mozzarella grated
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Onion sliced (topping)
- 1/3 cup Mushroom sliced (topping)
- 1/3 cup Bell pepper sliced (topping)
For the Dough
In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, sugar and salt. Stir to combine well.
Add yogurt and oil and knead into the flour. Start adding water little by little and knead as you go till you get a soft, supple dough. You may not need the entire quantity of water so add only as much as you require. If the dough feels too dry, add water by the teaspoon or some extra flour if the dough feels little wet. (watch the video above to see how the dough should feel)
Cover with a damp towel and set aside in a warm place for 25-30 minutes. If you live in a cold place, rest the dough for 1.5-2 hours. But in warmer climate, 30 minutes is sufficient.
Make the Pizzas
Divide the dough into two for pizzas. This will make approx two 8 inch pizzas at 1/4 inch thickness.
Form the dough into a ball, dust it with some dry flour and roll it out.
Place your cast iron skillet (or non stick pan) on the flame and reduce it to low. Place the rolled out pizza dough on the skillet and prick it all over with a fork. Spread some pizza sauce on top, add your toppings and grated cheese.
Drizzle olive oil around the edges and cover and cook this for 4-5 minutes till the cheese has melted and the base is slightly crisp. Serve immediately. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Cheese: If you are using processed cheese like Amul or Britannia, drizzle a little olive oil on the cheese to help it melt better
- Creating steam: You can also sprinkle a little water around the edges of the pizza (not on it) and then cover and cook it. This will create some steam for cooking. You should hear a sizzle as you sprinkle water.
- Oven: I recommend starting the pizza on the stove to get the base cooking and then finishing it in the oven with only the top element on at the highest temperature setting to cook the toppings and melt the cheese if you want to cook this in the oven.
Calories: 916kcal | Carbohydrates: 133g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 1853mg | Potassium: 650mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1482IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 394mg | Iron: 8mg