- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 10 Garlic Cloves thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped Ginger
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Celery
- 4 stalks Green Onions finely chopped (white and green part divided)
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 4 cups sliced Button Mushrooms (approx 400 grams)
- 5-6 Shiitake Mushrooms sliced
- 2 1/2 cups cooked white rice short grained/ day old
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon White Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon toasted Sesame Oil
Heat oil in a large wok and add the sliced garlic. Fry on a medium high heat till golden brown. Take out half the garlic and reserve for later.
Add ginger, onions, celery, green chillies and the white part of spring onions and stir fry on high heat for a minute or so.
Add both the mushrooms and stir fry for 2-3 minutes till the mushrooms caramelize
Add rice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, pepper, salt and toasted sesame oil and stir fry for 2-3 minutes till everything is mixed well. Don't worry if the rice sticks a little to the bottom. Just scrape it off - those crunchy bits are yum! Sprinkle with the green part of spring onions and the reserved garlic chips and serve hot.
- Rice: Any short grain white rice will work well for this recipe. Short grain rice tastes much better than long grained rice in fried rice
- Cooking rice for fried rice: Its best to use leftover rice from the previous day for fried rice. This is because, rice that has been in the fridge overnight has less moisture and will make for fluffier, less gluggy or sticky fried rice. If you don't have leftover rice, cook the rice, spread it out on a baking sheet and refrigerate it for an hour or so before cooking.
- Veggies: You can use your favourite veggies in this recipe. That's the beauty of fried rice. I also love using broccoli, cabbage, bok choy in this recipe.
- Protein: Chicken, shrimp/ prawns, bacon all taste great in this recipe. Just cook them before and add them along with the mushrooms in the recipe
- Freezing: Mushroom fried rice can be easily frozen. Let it cool to room temperature and freeze it in freezer friendly containers. This can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Reheating mushroom fried rice: To reheat this dish, take the container out of the freezer, let it thaw and then microwave in 2 minute spurts.
- Cauliflower Fried Rice: To make this healthier, swap the rice for 3 cups cauliflower rice
Calories: 248kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 721mg | Potassium: 482mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 148IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1mg