Healthy Broccoli Soup
This healthy cream of broccoli soup is actually made without any cream! Imagine a texture thats thick, creamy and full of garlicky broccoli flavour but without the extra calories.
Servings 4 people
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped Garlic
- 1 medium Onion sliced
- 1 large head Broccoli cut into florets
- 2 medium Potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Milk
- ½ cup Broccoli Florets extra
- ¼ cup diced Carrots extra
- ¼ cup grated Cheddar Cheese
Heat oil in a pot and saute garlic and onions till the onions are translucent.
Add broccoli, potatoes, salt and water and bring this to a boil. Once this comes to a roaring boil, reduce the flame and simmer for 15-20 minutes till the broccoli and potatoes are fork tender.
Let the mixture cool and blend this with milk till the soup is creamy and well blended.
Pour this back into the pot and add broccoli florets and carrots if using. Simmer this for 5-10 minutes, mix in the grated cheddar and turn off the flame. Serve hot.
- If you want to speeden this up even further, just pressure cook the broccoli and potato. It'll cook the veggies slightly faster and make the veggies very tender.
- Make it vegan: Use almond or soy based milk. Use vegan cheese or skip it.
- Add in any combination of chopped boiled vegetables to this soup while serving for extra taste and texture.
Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 724mg | Potassium: 1121mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 2527IU | Vitamin C: 169mg | Calcium: 224mg | Iron: 2mg