- 1 cup Quick cooking Oats
- 2 cups Water
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 2 - 3 cloves Garlic minced
- ¼ cup Cheddar grated
- 2 teaspoons Basil chopped
- 2 Eggs
- ½ teaspoon Paprika or Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and add the minced garlic. Saute the garlic for 15 seconds and add oats. Stir the oats for a few seconds and add all the water, salt and pepper. Bring this to a quick boil, and simmer for 3-4 minutes, by which time, the mixture would have thickened up into a porridge like consistency and the oats will be cooked. Adjust the consistency by adding more water if required. Just before taking oats off the stove, add cheese and basil and mix.
In a non stick pan, add the remaining oil and fry the eggs one by one. Top each egg with salt and paprika or chili powder.
To serve, divide the oats equally into two bowls. Top each bowl with a fried egg, sprinkle with more paprika and chopped coriander.
- Feel free to experiment with different herbs, cheeses and even toppings like sundried Tomatoes, Olives or Jalapenos.
- Adjust water to keep oats to your desired consistency.
- Feel free to swap the fried egg with soft boiled eggs or scrambled eggs. But we prefer the crispy, fried egg with a runny yolk.
Calories: 316kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 179mg | Sodium: 165mg | Potassium: 234mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 625IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 166mg | Iron: 3mg