For me today officially marks the start of the big Indian festival season. And anybody who’s grown up in an Indian family will agree that it’s also the beginning of incredibly delicious, but rich, high calorie food. My family – unless they stuff you with food, they haven’t pampered you properly. Obviously I’ve got those genes. While kheer is one of my favorites, I can never finish an entire bowl, but this Healthy Quinoa Apple Kheer – I’m guilty of stealing a few spoonfuls at breakfast today.
This healthy quinoa apple kheer is a result of War and Cheese prodding me to come up with a Dussehra recipe. I was stumped. I wasn’t willing to make a dessert that we wouldn’t be able to finish because it’s loaded with ghee! A major brainstorming session with mum resulted in some great options, which I’m hoping to recreate soon enough but as usual, I was rushed for time! So when War and Cheese suggested I do something with Quinoa, I was totally game! I’m probably the last food blogger to be experimenting with this super food, but what a great idea this was.
To me it’s very similar to bulgur, in taste and texture, but the internet tells me that it’s a food superstar and here’s why. Rich in antioxidants, fiber and minerals, it can absorb copious amounts of water, which makes it perfect for making kheer.
Plus, it’s ‘healthier’ than traditional Indian sweets, which is really saying something! So if you are a little like me, and dying to join in on all the festival fun, but wary of eating the ghee laden desserts, this healthy quinoa apple kheer is what weeeee need! Find me on facebook and twitter and tell me you love this idea as much as I do. Or give me a holler on Instagram, so that we can be insta friends.
Healthy quinoa apple kheer is a low calorie Indian festival dessert, full of fiber and nutrition and a perfect way to celebrate Diwali or Dussehra with your family!
- 1 1/2 cups Quinoa (cooked)
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- 1 Apple (finely chopped)
- 750 ml Milk (Skim)
- 8-10 strands Saffron
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom (crushed)
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Pistachios (Chopped)
- Apples (Sliced for topping)
- In a pot, heat ghee and add the finely chopped apples. Saute for 3-4 minutes till slightly soft and add quinoa, milk, saffron and cardamom to it.
- Bring it to a boil and simmer for 35-40 minutes till milk reduces by about one thirds and the kheer thickens up. You can simmer for longer if you like your kheer really thick.
- Add sugar and stir till combined. Cool to room temperature, and then refrigerate for an hour or so.
- Serve chilled, topped with chopped pistachios and apple slices.
Here’s how to cook quinoa
Clean the quinoa thoroughly under running water, to get rid of the coating called saponin which can give it a bitter taste
Quinoa absorbs a lot of water, and pretty quickly so be careful not to burn it. How do I know? Umm guess 😛