Spicy, crispy, full of umami and insanely addictive Korean baked gochujang chicken wings. You’ll never go back to having wings any other way!
Is it weird to talk about chicken wings when you are all alone at home? But these Korean baked gochujang chicken wings were purely recipe testing. And more testing till I couldn’t eat any more chicken wings all by myself. So I called some friends over for beer and more chicken wings.
And I can’t tell you how good these were! So good that I don’t know if I can ever have chicken wings without adding some gochujang to it.
For all those who are a little stumped Gochujang is a spicy, fermented paste made from red chili, glutinous rice, fermented soybeans, and salt. And it is awesome and I’ve been adding it to everything including these Korean inspired baked chicken wings.
I first had Korean food a few weeks ago when Denver came back from a friends place raving about some Korean food that they had ordered in. The next chance we had, we ordered some too and oh maaaaan! I can’t believe I’ve never had Korean food in my life. It’s spicy, full of umami and so satisfying.
If you have some Gochujang, these wings are a cinch to make and don’t need a lot of ingredients. But then you are going to tell me that Gochujang is the most difficult one to get. Well here in Bangalore it’s available at a Korean restaurant called Arirang at Kamanahalli and here’s where it’s available in Mumbai. Basically, if you are trying to procure it in India, try out any Korean restaurant in your city and I’m sure they’d be willing to give you some.
If you absolutely can’t get hold of any Gochujang (or angry sauce as some like to call it), just substitute with some Sriracha but it’s not the same. Because that spicy, fermented paste is just something else.
These wings are gonna be on the next party menu and the next one after that and the next one. Because these crispy, crunchy, absolutely addictive Korean chicken wings deserve some sticky hands and beer!
More Chicken Appetizers:
- Baked Sticky Chicken Wings
- Chicken Lollipop
- Grilled Sambal Chicken Skewers
- Crunchy Korean Popcorn Chicken
- Easy Chinese Chilli Chicken Dry
Watch Korean Baked Gochujang Chicken Wings Recipe Video
Korean Baked Gochujang Chicken Wings
- 1 kilogram Chicken Wings
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 4 tablespoons Gochujang Korean chili paste (Or substitute with Sriracha)
- 1 tablespoon Red Chili Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Honey
- 1 tablespoon Ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic minced
- Oil for brushing
- Sesame seeds for topping
- Mix together all in the ingredients except oil in a bowl or tupperware box so that the mixture coats the wings evenly.
- Marinade for at least 2 hours or for best results, overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 200 C/400 F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place the wings equidistant from each other on the sheet. Brush with oil.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes on each side, brushing with remaining marinade and oil before turning them. In the last five minutes crank up the heat and let the wings broil so that they are nice and charred. Top with some sesame seeds and serve immediately.