These wholesome Raisin Chocolate and Puffed Rice Bars make for a yummy breakfast on-the-go and can even be had as a healthy snack any time of the day! They’re crunchy, chewy and all things nice!
We are talking breakfast bars today – specifically these raisin chocolate and puffed rice bars, made by my friend Pallavi over at Heuristic Kitchens. Before we get into the details, I’ve to talk about Pallavi. I happened upon her blog on Facebook first, through a link someone else shared and I was hooked. The first time, I spent over an hour browsing through her posts. The second time longer and then I was visiting almost every week because while she has stunning picture, it’s her writing that’s so captivating!
She has style and prose and her stories come straight from the heart. You can tell that she pours herself into the blog and that’s what makes it so special.
Today instead of doing all the talking myself, I’m going to let her take over! Because only she can do justice to these delicious Raisin Chocolate and Puffed Rice Bars.
Dark teal, the sky before the dawn
with soft expectant hush,
knife-sharp and fresh, day’s air is born
as steals an amber tinted blush
above the eastern hills,
outlined by morn’s broad sweeping brush.
The rose fingered dawn has touched the earth. Through a tiny window in the kitchen the god’s rays are streaming into the kitchen. The dust has attained a hallowed wreath dancing in the soft sun. The soil is rustic with aroma from the first dew drops. There’s a faint chirp on the guava tree. The incense is lit to ward off the nocturnal spirits. The kettle kept on the stove rumbling to its tune. The steam spewing into a lustrous cloud. The radio humming the brooding melancholic tune of Akashwani. While I am lost in deep slumber still the world around me gyrates to this dawn where poetry is crystallized every day, time and again. This is the Bhor moment frozen in my mind.
In those infinite mornings my mother gave us Mudhi Mua with warm milk. I have taken that very recipe and given it a contemporary twist which apes most of our retail breakfast bars.
If you loved her writing as much as I do, check out her post about this easy wholemeal spelt bread, not just for the bread which is delicious, but for how she describes life away from home, the listlessness and the urgency of knowing you can’t spend another day without visiting.Print
These crunchy, chewy and healthy raisin chocolate and puffed rice nutritional bars will keep you going through the whole day!
- 125 g puffed rice (or mudhi)
- 50 g dark chocolate (chips)
- 50 g almond (flakes or roughly chopped)
- 50 g kismis (rasins)
- 1 tbsp orange rind (dried)
- 85 ml vegetable oil
- 120 ml honey (clear)
- 35 g brown sugar (light)
- Mix the almonds, raisins, orange rind, chocolate chips and puffed rice in a bowl.
- Heat oil and sugar together in a deep bottomed pan over medium heat. Until all the sugar has melted and the mixture is bubbling. Remove from heat and mix the honey thoroughly into the sugar mixture.
- Set aside to cool for 2 minutes.
- Pour the cooled mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix using a wooden spatula until it is well incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into a baking tin lined with butter paper. Press gently with your palm or spatula to flatten the layer.
- Place the baking tin in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to allow the mixture to cool and harden. Remove from the refrigerator and cut it with a thick and sharp knife into bars. These bars can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for 5 days.