This spicy achari paneer is seriously the bomb for anyone who likes anything achari or pickled! You will never believe how easy it is to recreate the flavours of achar in a dish like this. It might sound really complicated but it’s insanely easy to do!
I’m also giving away a Rs. 1500 Amazon Gift Card to one lucky winner this month. This giveaway is being sponsored by Free Shipping Code, which basically let’s you ship anything via Amazon and a few other sites for free. Duh! It’s particularly useful if you are getting something shipped from the US. I always end up filling my basket on the US Amazon store, and then chickening out because – shipping charges!
Today is actually a pretty awesome Monday, don’t you agree? What with this spicy, tangy, sweet and sour Achari Paneer recipe that you have got to try and the 1500 rupee Amazon Gift Voucher! Plus it’s also the 99th post for My Food Story! How cool is that? I’m like jumping in my chair right now because I CAN’T take so much awesomeness at one go!
This is my mum’s recipe. She’s a phenomenal cook and this achari paneer is pure genius. I’ve seen tons of recipes online for achari paneer which have a loooong list of ingredients so this one really takes the cake for being easy and authentic in spite of the limited spices. Just a few whole spices is all you need and the flavor just comes naturally, because like I said before – it’s genius.
An authentic recipe for spicy achari paneer or cottage cheese in pickling spices to surprise your family!
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Chilies (Whole Dry Red)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kalonji ((Nigella) seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon Methi ((Fenugreek) Seeds)
- 3/4 teaspoon Saunf ((Fennel) Seeds)
- 1 teaspoon Jeera ((Cumin) Seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic (Paste)
- 2 Onions (, cubed)
- 3/4 cup Tomato (Puree (Fresh))
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric ((Haldi) Powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder (Red)
- 1 Green Chili (, slit lengthwise)
- 1 Green Capsicum (, cubed)
- 1 Tomato (, deseeded and cubed)
- 250 grams Paneer ((Cottage Cheese) cubed ,)
- to taste Salt
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai, and add whole red chillies, methi, saunf, jeera, hing and mustard seeds. Once the seeds start crackling add ginger garlic paste and onions.
- Stir fry the onions on high heat for two minutes and add the tomato puree, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt and slit green chili .
- Cook till the puree starts leaving oil on the sides (takes about 8-10 minutes) and add capsicum, tomato and paneer. Add a little water if necessary.
- Cover and cook for five minutes till the capsicum and tomato softens a bit. Serve hot with steamed rice and parathas (flatbread).