Roasted spatchcock chicken is your answer when you want a delicious, flavorful roast chicken cooked in under an hour. Crispy skin, juicy chicken and the delicious flavors of orange and rosemary make this a big family favorite dinner!
If you've never spatchcocked chicken before, I'm here to tell you that this is probably the best way to roast a whole chicken, plus it looks really spectacular. Its that one technique that everyone should know. And you know me. I don't believe in over complicating life and I don't endorse difficult, super lengthy cooking processes so if spatchcocking or butterflying a chicken is something I can easily do, then you can absolutely do it too!
Since I'm sharing this recipe in December, I wanted to give it a cozy, winter twist. I flavor the chicken with orange and rosemary, which is classic, elegant and such a perfect combination. And the chicken is layered on a bed of oranges, onions, garlic with a splash of white wine to create a jus without any effort!
We made this recipe twice before finally shooting the video, and every time Denver couldn't stop eating it. Neither could I.
Spatchcocking produces really juicy chicken
To spatchcock or butterfly chicken, we remove the spine, flatten the chicken and spread it out so that it lays flat, breast-side up. This brings the thighs on the same height as the breasts, exposing them to a higher heat and basically cooking them slightly faster. This keeps the thighs juicy and prevents chicken breasts from drying out.
Trust me when I say that this roasted spatchcock chicken is one recipe that you'll be making over and over again. And serve this over our favorite garlic mashed potatoes for a meal that looks and tastes fantastic!
More Slow Roasted Meat Recipes You Might Like:
- Chicken Shawarma made street style at home
- Slow Cooker Chipotle BBQ Pulled Pork
- Indian Style Roast Chicken
- Slow Cooker Korean Pork Bulgogi with Gochujang
Watch Roasted Spatchcock Chicken Recipe Video
Roasted Spatchcock Chicken with Orange Rosemary
- 1 kg Chicken whole with skin
- 2-3 Onions peeled and quartered
- 1 Garlic halved (large)
- ½ cup White wine
- 5-6 Orange slices
- ¼ cup Salt
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 cup Orange juice
- 3 cups Water
- 1 Sprig rosemary
- Pepper a dash
- 50 g Butter
- 5 -6 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Orange zest
- 1 tablespoon Rosemary Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
Spatchcock the chicken:
- Place the whole chicken breast-side down with the wings facing towards you. Remove the spine by using kitchen shears to cut out the backbone along both sides of the spine. Open the rib cage, spread the chicken out and use a knife to score down the sternum. This will help pop out the breast bone and easily flatten chicken.
- Flip the chicken over so that the breast is facing up. Use the palm of your hand and push firmly over the breast bone, until you hear the wishbone cracking. This helps the chicken to lay completely flat.
Brine and Marinate
- Mix together salt, sugar, orange juice and water in a large pot. Immerse the chicken completely in this, sprinkle over some black pepper and add a few sprigs of rosemary. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven at 218 C/425 F for at least 15-20 minutes.
- In a bowl mix together butter, garlic, orange zest, chopped rosemary, salt and pepper. Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Now, use your thumb between the skin and the flesh over the breast and the legs to make space to stuff the butter in. Spread half the butter under the skin and the remaining all over the chicken.
- In a 12 inch cast iron skillet, or on a baking sheet, layer the orange slices at the bottom. Add onions, garlic and the white wine to the pan and then place the chicken breast side up. Roast for 40 mins in the oven, temperature of the thigh should be at 80C/ 175F.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 15 minutes before serving. Serve over mashed potatoes, with the juices from the pan.
Excellwnt chicken. Easy. To. Prepare and so flavorful.
Charles L Pickett says
it was good but for me it had to much of a strong essance of orange for my taste
Richa Gupta says
Hey Charles! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We have many other chicken dinners you can try next - Check out Herb Garlic Roast Chicken
Refreshing dish for summer.
Easy to prepare and non greasy at all 🙂
Thanks for leaving a comment! Soooo glad you liked it Candy
White wine or red wine?
"1/2 cup white wine"
"Add onions, garlic and the red wine to the pan and.."
Gosh! So sorry, its white wine. I've fixed it in the post.