Its summer time and this refreshing Apple Walnut Summer Salad is a perfect way to cool down. The crunchy walnuts and the crispy, slightly bitter lettuce along with sweet apples will just explode in your mouth!
You know how one day you suddenly realize that you are turning into your mother? I’m not saying its a good or a bad thing. But it happens. To all of us. And it’s happening to me NOW. I remember my mum nagging us to eat more veggies and I do the EXACT same thing to Denver now! That weighing scale I bought last week? It told me exactly what I didn’t want to know – Start working out and stop pigging out. And that’s why this Apple Walnut Summer Salad.
I actually love salads. But sometimes you can’t find good produce and then other times you don’t have dressing at hand or maybe, you just feel like digging into some chocolate chips. If you are anything like me, you understand, don’t you? Let’s nod our heads together.
But this Apple Walnut Salad is going to change all of that. No more excuses because one bite and you will be sold. The crisp, slightly bitter lettuce along with sweet apples will just explode in your mouth. Walnuts add some crunch and when drizzled with a sharp honey mustard dressing, this salad makes for a perfect summer lunch.
It obviously helps that I can get fresh produce from First Agro now, my favorite organic farm company. And the dressing is so easy that you can do it in your sleep using ingredients which you would most likely have at home.
Also follow me on Instagram for more drool-worthy updates.Print
Healthy and refreshing Apple Walnut Salad drizzled with a sharp Honey Mustard Vinaigrette makes for a great summer salad.
For the Salad
- 1 Apple
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Romaine Lettuce (small head of (Or any other lettuce of your choice))
- ½ cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 6 – 8 Walnuts (, roughly chopped)
For the Dressing
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 6 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- to taste Salt (and Pepper)
- Core and slice the apples thinly and immediately toss them with lemon juice. This will prevent the apples from oxidising and turning brown.
- Tear lettuce with your hands and halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Add apples, lettuce and cherry tomatoes (in that order) to a large bowl and set aside.
- To make the dressing, add mustard and vinegar to a bowl and mix. Add the olive oil slowly while whisking continuously and you will notice the dressing emulsifying. Add honey, salt and pepper and give it one last mix.
- Toss the salad with dressing and sprinkle with walnuts just before serving.
This recipe makes extra dressing and I feel a tablespoon or two of dressing is enough to dress the salad. The remaining dressing can be stored in an air-tight jar in a fridge.
You can use a combination of lettuce for this salad.
While preparing the salad for a crowd, add the apple to the bowl first so that it does not crush the lettuce.
You can store the salad and dressing separately in a sealed container in the refrigerator till ready to serve.
Toss the dressing just before serving to avoid the salad from getting soggy.