Beet and Goat Cheese Quinoa Patties make for a really healthy snack because of the beetroot, quinoa and spinach! Whats an added bonus is the fact that the color of these patties is radiant! Make them to use up veggies in a fun way!
You see how I’m gravitating? Between cheesy Keema Pizza and these over-the-top healthy Beet and Goat Cheese Quinoa Patties? It’s how I function. Completely indecisive about everything in my life. Starting from what to eat. And mostly ending at everything.
This wasn’t planned or anything. I just wanted to cook with Quinoa. I at least knew that. So I rummaged in the fridge, and dug out whatever was lying around. A few beetroots, some goat cheese, a bit of spinach. These patties are a great fridge cleaning exercise. Trust me. I know.
But I’m totally digging the color. They look fabulous, don’t they? You can almost feel ‘healthy’ radiating from them. They are really flavorful from the beetroot and spinach, and slightly tart from the goat cheese. They are also slightly crunchy on the outside from all the quinoa that gets nice and crisp; and juicy inside.
They reminded me of all the vegetable cutlets we used to get on Indian Railways when we travelled by train as a kid. I wanted them mainly because of the bright pink color. Which is also half the reason why I love these quinoa patties.
I’m sure you are cribbing because this is a ‘Quinoa’ recipe. I always thought that it’s a pretty foo-fah ingredient. You know, one of those trendy superfoods that come and go, are heavy on the pocket and generally a fad. But google tells me otherwise. Quinoa is a high-protein, nutrient and antioxidant rich grain that even had an entire year dedicated to it by The Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations.
I will understand if you don’t want to buy the grain specifically for this recipe, or don’t have it easily available. You can just as easily swap Quinoa with Bulgur/ Broken Wheat/ Daliya and get the exact same flavor. They both have a nutty taste and texture, and crisp up when cooked in oil.
But whatever you do, give these colorful patties a try. I ended up snacking on them with my tea last evening, and then rolling them in chapatis with a fried egg for breakfast. Major satisfaction.
A healthy snacking option, these Beet and Goat Cheese Quinoa Patties are a great way to use up veggies and make for a delicious addition to breakfast or a salad.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (Oil)
- 1 cup Quinoa, cooked (Alternatively, use Bulgur)
- 1 Potato (peeled and boiled)
- 1 Beetroot (large, peeled and grated)
- 3/4 cup Spinach (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Oats (powdered)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger (Paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic (Paste)
- 1/4 cup Goat’s Cheese or any other cheese of your choice
- Salt to taste
- Smash the potatoes in a bowl and add all the ingredients except Oil. Mix well till combined.
- Take 1/4 cup of the mixture and form into a round ball. Lightly flatten it with your palm to make a patty or cutlet. Do the same with the rest of the mixture, and line them on a baking sheet or plate. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, and slide in the patties one by one, making sure not to crowd the pan. Cook for 8-10 minutes, and then flip to cook the other side for the same amount of time. Towards the end, increase the flame and crisp them up on both sides.
- Serve warm with a yogurt dip, or roll it up between chapatis.